Power Supply Monitoring

My hope is that if one power supply is no longer working, thus no longer
producing any DC output, I could alarm on that value being 0. Again,
this is just a hope.

> UPSes tend to have various amounts of AC power monitoring available,
> and that might be a better place to look.  Network UPS Tools
> http://www.networkupstools.org/ runs on Linux and can talk to many
> types of UPSes.

Tend to, but since the guy that does the monitoring rarely has the
ability to make the purchases of said device, you tend to end up with
old refurbished devices that don't have the ability to be monitored
without a laptop and a console cable.

> Beyond that, the next step is usually to go to the site and look for
> any obvious problems - do half the machines reboot when the machine
> shop downstairs fires up the arc welder?  Did somebody set up 42U of
> servers on a 100 foot 16 gauge (30 m 1.0 mm^2) extension cord?  Then
> you start poking at it... depending on how subtle the problem is and
> your budget, you start with a $30 Kill-a-Watt meter, then move up to
> a $200 Fluke multimeter, and then maybe a multi-thousand-dollar Fluke
> or Dranetz data logger.

I'm really just looking for a way to do a simple function check on the
power supplies to detect when they're operational. Not necessarily to
find out what voltage is going through, but to see if it's even working
or not. For example, we have one power supply on grid, the other is on
UPS - the easiest way to detect if there's a problem with UPS or grid
power is to monitor the power supplies on the boxes. This would function
as a dual monitor if there was ever an issue with just a power supply.

Jacob