Kernel-provided labels

On Tuesday 12 May 2009 22:55:08 you wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Kernel-provided sensor labels can be problematic when the user tries to
> apply a compute or ignore statement. In general, one can comment out
> all label statements in the configuration file or run "sensors
> -c /dev/null" to see the symbolic names of all inputs (in0, temp1
> etc...) However, in the case where kernel-provided labels are
> available, libsensors will process them nevertheless, so the user has
> no way to see the symbolic name for the input.
>
> I can think of different approaches to solve this issue. I wonder which
> one other developers and users think should be implemented.
>
> 1* A new command line parameter to disable the processing of
>    kernel-provided labels (say: --no-kernel-labels.)
>
> 2* A new command line parameter to disable the processing of
>    kernel-provided labels and configuration files (say: --raw.)
>    This is a shorter alternative to "sensors -c /dev/null
>    --no-kernel-label".
>
> 3* A new sensors output format which would display all available
>    symbolic names of a device, possibly with kernel-provided and
>    user-provided labels in a table.

I'm voting or this one
this could be a "verbose" output. IMO as the complexity of lm-sensors
increases the need for such output mode will only rise

also it could be used to insert detailed descriptions of specific sensors, so,
for example, the user could get info that the "CPU temp" is, in fact the
"Tcase CPU temp" ? a heat spreader temperature ;)

this would increase user friendliness greatly

--
Hubert Kario
QBS - Quality Business Software