weird oscillation in temp reading

Hi all,

I am using lm-sensor on a dual-quad-core system with two Xeon 5460. I
am running a periodic workload on one of the cores: 400ms computation
and 600ms idle.

>From the thermal side, the temp reading is shown in the figure
attached. Notice that there is a very obvious oscillation in the
temperature reading on that core. The oscillating period is around
20-30 seconds, which is definitely not sub-second.

I've no idea what's going on here. Can anyone share some thoughts?

Thanks a lot!
-Simon