Ramp-up time for fan speed

Hi Timothy,

On Fri, 1 May 2009 17:59:35 -0400, Timothy Normand Miller wrote:
> I've recently discovered lm_sensors, pwmcontrol, and fancontrol.
> IIUC, they're all part of the same package.  My CPU fan is under
> automatic control by the system hardware, but the case fans were
> fixed, and this system has allowed me to make the fan speeds vary with
> temperature, which has made my system a LOT quieter when it's
> relatively idle, yet I can launch compute-intensive apps and still
> maintain a cool system.
>
> Anyhow, I'm running into a problem with leaving the fans off.  The
> fans take too long to come up to speed from stop.  It's not a function
> of the fans themselves; when I power the system on, the snap from zero
> to full speed in less than a second.  So my best guess is that
> fancontrol won't just SET the duty cycle but wants to gradually ramp
> it up or down.
>
> If I leave the fans on all the time at a setting of 100/255, then it's
> okay.  But if I leave them off until they're needed, it takes way too
> long for the fans to even begin spinning.
>
> Is there a way I can control fancontrol's ramp-up rate?  I wasn't able
> to find anything on this in the documentation.

The fancontrol script really isn't that smart. It doesn't implement any
form of ramp-up, the target speed (actually, output duty cycle) is
computed linearly based on the measured temperature, and applied
immediately.

However it is known that fans need a relatively high duty cycle to
start spinning, and we do have a mechanism for that: MINSTART. I
suppose you didn't set its value high enough. Probably the best is that
you share your /etc/fancontrol configuration file with us and I'll tell
you what I think should be changed.

Please also tell us which version of lm-sensors you're running, to make
sure you aren't affected by an old bug.

--
Jean Delvare
http://khali.linux-fr.org/wishlist.html