Branches in lm-sensors repository

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 22:26:36 +0100, Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I think it is a bit confusing that all the development of lm-sensors is
> happening in branch lm-sensors-3.0.0, and trunk is in maintenance mode.
> It would make sense to use trunk for development again, and move the
> 2.10.x maintenance to a branch. What is even more confusing is that
> what we are developing in branch lm-sensors-3.0.0 is no longer
> lm-sensors 3.0.0, but 3.0.4, and as time passes the difference between
> the name and the actual version will become larger.
>
> Moving 2.10.x to a branch shouldn't be difficult: a svn copy or svn
> move should do if I understand how SVN works. The only thing to decide
> is the name of the new branch. At first I had "legacy" in mind but it
> might not be the best for long term, as chances are that our active
> 3.0.0 branch will someday become the new legacy branch. So, what about
> "lm-sensors-2.10"?
>
> Moving development back to trunk might be a little more difficult, if
> SVN considers trunk as special. If not, then maybe a svn move will
> work. I am no SVN expert, so if anyone knows more about this type of
> operation and has suggestions, these are very welcome.
>
> I will proceed next week. One reason why I want this done quickly is
> that I am currently updating our documentation in the wiki and I don't
> want to have to update all the links when we rename the branches. So
> better do the rename now and I'll continue the documentation updates
> after that.

This is done now. As I hopped, this was a simple matter of two "svn
move" commands. Kudos to the Subversion developers for making it so
easy.

Developers with local repository checkouts will want to use "svn
switch" command to switch to the new branches. For the legacy branch,
do:

svn switch http://lm-sensors.org/svn/lm-sensors/branches/lm-sensors-2.10

For the development branch, do:

svn switch http://lm-sensors.org/svn/lm-sensors/trunk

Make sure you have no local changes first, as I have no idea what would
happen to them.

--
Jean Delvare