abituguru3: no Abit uGuru3 found

On Thursday 08 January 2009 17:09:43 Jean Delvare wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 13:02:38 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> > Nick Pasich wrote:
> > > No BIOS update....
> > >
> > > Here's the output from "dmidecode" Attached...
> >
> > Hmm, nasty. We've got "IP35 Pro(Intel P35-ICH9R)" as identifaction string
> > in the driver, and your DMI table has: "IP35 PRO(P35+ICH9R)"
> >
> > You should be able to work around your problem (for now) by doing this
> > (as root):
> >
> > modprobe abituguru3 force=1
> >
> > After that, please do "dmesg" and copy paste the relevant (abituguru
> > related) lines in your mail, that will help us diagnose this.
>
> Might be worth reading this discussion thread again:
> http://lists.lm-sensors.org/pipermail/lm-sensors/2008-October/024522.html
>
> We gave up on fixing it back then, but apparently there really is a
> need. Alistair, do you have a patch?

I think the consensus we came to at the time was to switch to strncmp'ing a
subset of the DMI string, but in this case we'll need strncasecmp. This isn't
too terrible as false positives are pretty unlikely (we already check the
board manufacturer too, which does seem to be unchanging). Hans?

Of course, if Abit start putting arbitrary spaces and hyphens into the names
too, all bets are off. But I read that their motherboard division was ceasing
operation soon so (alas) this shouldn't be a problem. :-)

Find attached a patch that should fix it (Nick, please test this if you can).

Jean, there's another DMI patch tested by Paul Hartman I've been holding onto.
I'll send you a proper version of the patch in this email and the other DMI
patch ASAP.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.