lm-sensors 2.10.1 with newer 2.6.x.x kernel can't read procfs/sysfs

[root at tb303 ~]# sensors
Can't access procfs/sysfs file
Kernel interface access error
For 2.6 kernels, make sure you have mounted sysfs and libsensors
was compiled with sysfs support!

I have Debian 4.0 with 2.10.1-3 lm-sensors and libsensors3. I read
http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Kernel2.6

"In kernel 2.6.22, the way the I2C adapters are presented in sysfs
changed, and this affects libsensors. You will need lm_sensors version
2.10.3 or later. Alternatively, the kernel can be compiled with
CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=y, then version 2.10.2 will work too. Older
versions of lm_sensors will complain that the I2C adapter names can't
be read. This is only a warning though. "

So in my kernel 2.6.26.5 I have

# grep CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED /boot/config-2.6.26.5
CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=y
CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2=y

yet I still get this "warning" If it's only a warning why don't I get
the actual readings from my hardware? I looked into upgrading to
lm-sensors 3 and libsenseors4 packages from Debian testing tree but
the dependencies were pretty bad, I might as well upgrade the whole
system to testing.

I have run sensors-detect and have the proper modules loaded.

John Brier