Intend to implement ADT7467/ADT7468 driver

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 15:43:23 -0700, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 02:21:46PM +0200, Bernhard Rieder wrote:
> > Hi Everybody,
> >
> > I am currently working on an ADT746[78] driver which will be finished soon.
> >
> > However, I am not sure how to react to errors. Which values do I return in case
> > the chip reports errors (i.e. temp=-64 is an error value for the temperature reading,
> > -63 is ok). Are there somewhere error values defined which can used for this? I do
> > not think usinf -64 is a good choice, because the chip has two modes for temperature
> > and an error would be reported as -128 in the other mode. Additionally, -64 could be
> > interpreted as a real value (at least in sibiria when it is a cold winter day).
> >
> > Are there somewhere constants like SENSORS_VOLTAGE_INVALID, SENSORS_TEMP_INVALID, ...
> > which I missed? I think common error values would be really beneficial ...
>
> Hm... I think the lm85/adt7468 have similar registers.  Oddly, I was
> working on a patch to the lm85 driver to add 7468 support.  I suspect we
> should collaborate. :)

The lm85 driver is already pretty big. I'd only add support for chips
which are 100% compatible with an already supported chip to it. If the
ADT7468 and ADT7467 have specific properties (missing or extra inputs,
different scaling factors, extra features...) I'd rather have a new
driver for them (which might as well be derived from lm85.c, but then
please make sure you start from the very last version as I fixed it and
cleaned it up extensively in the past few months.)

> Also, a driver for the adt7467 is (mostly?) implemented in
> drivers/macintosh/therm_adt746x.c, though it relies on finding the
> device via some sort of openfirmware calls, which isn't appropriate for
> PCs.

The macintosh driver also doesn't implement the standard sysfs
interface and I don't think it supports voltage inputs. I could never
convince the powerpc people to drop their custom interface in favor of
ours. Maybe with the advent of new-style I2C drivers and if we
implement an in-kernel interface for temperature value access, they
will reconsider...

--
Jean Delvare