Joining this list

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 6:44 PM, Thomas <siggma at trbailey.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm joining this list hoping for a little help.
>
> I have a Compaq "ENS/815E KMAT CTO" Deskpro that I'm using as a home web
> server. The power supply fan runs constantly making copious noises. It's
> obviously linked to some kind of sensor. It runs quiet for about 10
> minutes then suddenly turns on full and stays that way. It runs flat out
> even in a cold room or when the processor is 1% or less. I've replaced
> the original Celeron with a 1Ghz Coppermine and it's full (2X256) of
> PC133 RAM. It's powering a single WD800JB 80gig UDMA-5 drive and nothing
> else.
>
> I've installed lm-sensors but sensor-detect did not find any fan
> controls. It was identified as an 'SMSC LPC47B357/M967 Super IO'.
> Searching turns up "to be written" in the drivers section of the scripts.
>
> I know this is an old gangster but any help short of pulling the fan
> wire would be appreciated. I do have the option of removing it from the
> case and running it in a custom rack mount (cardboard on a closet shelf)
> with a different PS but I'd rather not take it apart  if I don't have
> to. It's so cute...

Hello
I don't know this Compaq computer but if it has a standard ATX
connector for the power supply I think there's no way the OS can
control the fan of your PSU, since there's no wire to carry the
signal. I've seen PSUs with autoregulated fans. The temperature sensor
inside the PS box. If this is your case, the only solution is to
change the PS (or the fan, if you have time and will)