lost alarms with it87

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 2:56 AM, Trent Piepho <tpiepho at freescale.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Sep 2008, Hector Lahoz wrote:
>>
>> Ok, we won't use interrupts. Now, I'd like to have some kind of signal
>> that warns about CPU going above max temperature. For example, through
>> sensord. But the problem is that some seconds after the alarm is
>> triggered the ALARM message of sensors does not appear any more.
>> Shouldn't the alarm bit remain set until it is read? And if it's only
>> read by show_* functions (i.e. it87_update_device() ), why does it go
>> away?
>
> It might depend on how the device is programmed.  For example, with the LM63
> in it's default alarm mode (which the driver neither checks nor sets),
> alarms
> work like this:
>
> When an alarm condition occurs the bit in the alarm register is set.  It
> remains set until the register is read.  It whatever condition caused the
> alarm goes away, it still says set.
>
> When the alarm register is read, it is cleared (and the alert# IRQ pin is
> disabled).  It doesn't matter if the condition still exists or not, the
> register is always cleared.
>
> When the chip does its next temp conversion, which it does automatically 16
> times per second by default, it will again set the alarm bit in the register
> if the condition still exists.  However, the alert# pin will remain
> disabled. It needs to be turned back on manually, which the driver doesn't
> do.
>
> If something besides the lm63 driver (like i2cdump or ACPI) reads the alarm
> register before the driver does then the driver might not see the alarm.
>
> The LM63 can be put into alarm comparator mode.  In this mode the alarm bit
> remains set after the register is read.  If the condition no longer exists
> after a temp conversion, the bit is cleared, even if the register hasn't
> been
> read yet.  In this mode it's not possible to not see an alarm if it exists
> when the driver checks, but it's also not possible to see an alarm for a
> condition that no longer exists.

The it87 behaves in a similar way.
I think hysteresis doesn' make any sense if not using interrupts, so I
tried setting low temp to 127 deg. Celsius (comparator mode) and now
it works fine.
I don't understand yet why the bit is cleared. Either the chip doesn't
follow the datasheet or there is another process/subsystem reading the
chip register. But it works now, that is what matters.
Thanks