lm-sensors and IPMI

I'm having some difficulty getting lm-sensors to work on my 2.6.23 kernel
but before I dig deeper, I have a question:

Do I need IPMI (OpenIPMI) to run lm-sensors on my host?  I am confused by
the following statement on the ipmisensors homepage: "The ipmisensors
(formerly bmcsensors) driver is part of the lm-sensors project".  But then
they explain how to install/configure ipmisensors separately from
lm-sensors.