[Bug?] W83697: Broken readings for fan speed 10% of the time

On Sun, 15 June 2008 Jean Delvare <khali at linux-fr.org> wrote:
> Have you read Documentation/hwmon/it87 and
> Documentation/hwmon/w83627hf already? As far as I remember, both the
> it87 driver and the w83627hf driver only allow switching from manual
> control to automatic control and back. Neither gives control over
> the automatic mode settings. Both families of chips can do it though,
> it's a driver issue.

I just looked at those files, didn't remember looking there...

> I am not aware of the nforce420 having fan speed control capabilities.
> If it does, we have no driver for it.

Don't remember exactly for my nforce420 board, at least manual speed
settings work (have no seen it doing things automatically)

> For software-controlled fan speed, we have a little bash daemon named
> fancontrol (and its helper configuration script named pwmconfig). This
> should work with pretty much every hardware monitoring chip driver,
> including it87 and w83627hf, and gives you control on temperature
> thresholds and links between fan input, fan output and temperature
> input channels.

I saw the scripts tried them. As they did not really match what I
wanted I wrote a daemon (in C, attached) which has some more features:
 - sensor readings via libsensors
 - sensor reading from hddtemp
 - sensor reading via external script/binary
 - sensor reading from file

 - setting PWM depending on configured rules
   (a rule is if sensor > threshold => select PWM, if multiple rules
    are triggered, the one selecting highest PWM value wins)

Bruno