[Bug?] W83697: Broken readings for fan speed 10% of the time

On Mon, 02 June 2008 Jean Delvare <khali at linux-fr.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 21:09:41 +0200, Bruno Pr?mont wrote:
> > On Mon, 02 June 2008 Jean Delvare <khali at linux-fr.org> wrote:
> > > Is the fan's speed controlled in any way, either by the W83697HG
> > > chip, or maybe it is a self-regulated fan? Just check if the
> > > fan's speed increases with the temperature (i.e. with CPU load).
> >
> > Yes, the fan has a built-in thermal sensor and regulates it's speed
> > based on temperature.
> > It's running either at its lowest speed or the speed just above.
>
> Note that I've never seen this behavior on self-regulated fans... But
> I guess it depends on the implementation.
>
> > > (...)
> > > One patch you may want to apply it this one:
> > >   http://lists.lm-sensors.org/pipermail/lm-sensors/2008-May/023189.html
> > > It will let you switch the W83697HG chip from automatic fan speed
> > > control to manual control and back - might be useful to
> > > investigate the issue you have.
> >
> > I will try this one, maybe the board is capable of doing speed
> > control but its not implemented in vanilla driver.
>
> It is. The w83627hf driver can do manual fan speed control for a very
> long time. What it is missing is support for automatic fan speed
> control.
>
> > Until now setting pwm_enable to any values and changing PWM value
> > did not influence fan speed
>
> If setting pwmN_enable to 1 and pwmN to 0 doesn't stop the fan, this
> suggests that your motherboard can't do fan speed control. The easiest
> way to test is by running the "pwmconfig" script. But anyway, you
> would only have been able to slow down the fan, not speed it up, so it
> wouldn't have solved the problem.

That's what I did, with a standard non-regulated fan and it did not
change behavior with pwmN_enable set to 1 and pwmN set to 0 or any
other value

So the motherboard probably does not support speed control (reason
for using self-controlled fan though on/off would still be nice).

> > > (...)
> > > Filter out very large fan speed values. These can be reported by
> > > the chip when a fan is being controlled at low speed. The
> > > tachometer signal gets too weak and the chip fails to monitor the
> > > speed properly, but unfortunately it reports unreasonably high
> > > values instead of 0 RPM, which is quite confusing.
> >
> > I would prefer it to return the last valid speed if that speed is
> > not older than a few seconds though 0 is still better than "out of
> > range".
>
> We just can't do that, it would be lying to the user. We can't tell
> the user that his/her fan is spinning at a given speed when it might
> actually be spinning way slower or even be plain stalled.

Returning 0 is not much better. The best would be to return an error
which client application could act on...

> > (...)
> > I will also check fan behavior on IT8712F which is capable of doing
> > PWM control on 3 pin fans (maybe also automatic control, to be
> > checked)
>
> The IT8712F can control the fans in both manual and automatic modes,
> but the it87 driver only supports the former. Keep in mind though
> that, just because the chip can do it, a motherboard with this chip
> may not support fan speed control; it all depends on how the
> motherboard is wired.

My mainboard (IEI KINO-690S1) with IT8712F can do the speed control,
manual control is running properly (just that the range of values which
cause fan speed variations is not very intuitive: 0-2-4-6-8 from off to
full-speed for all the fans I tried, some also spin only for values
of at least 4)

The IT reports CPU temperature which is too low (offset? as curves
look very similar) - it's below room temperature (e.g. 20-24?C), AMD
Turion X2 sensor reports a temperature which makes more sense (e.g.
38-42?C)