Reported fan speed oscillates 730 RPM -> 337500 RPM/675000 RPM

Hi Jean,
Thank you.

Your analysis appears absolutely correct. The fan is speed controlled
and problem is pronounced when it is running slowly. Normal speed is
around 750-800rpm. The problem appears to diminish as the speed rises;
above ~1000 rpm, the readings appear stable.

I would assume that Gigabyte have used the automatic control facilities
of the it8718 chip. Where is this going to be set up - from the bios? Is
there anywhere in the linux system that this can be done? Or is it all
automatic.

At any rate the thing seems to work, so I don't really want to play with
it (let sleeping dogs lie etc). It's just the oscillating reading is a
bit annoying. Wouldn't there be anyway of filtering out such values in
lm-sensors? (Maybe a configuration setting)

Many thanks,

Simon