lm_sensors + IBM xseries 336

Hi Pierce,

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 17:37:17 +0100, Pierce Ward wrote:
> I recently setup a Red Hat 4 based system and wish to get lm_sensors
> support. Here is my current setup:
>
> lm_sensors-2.8.7-2
> kernel-smp-2.6.9-5.EL
> IBM Xseries 336
>
> Basically I checked the Devices section of the wiki to check if my
> board is compatible. My board is listed as supported: Intel 82801EB ->
> i2c-i801 (pastebin of lspci: http://rafb.net/p/0x7zyL96.html ).

This is only the SMBus controller. It doesn't include sensors.

> However when I run sensors-detect, I get an error about my vendor
> being IBM and that their systems aren't supported (as of my lm_sensors
> 2.8.7 anyway).
>
> Before I go modifying the sensors-detect script I was wondering if
> this is safe to do on this system? The error message from
> sensors-detect mentions the thinkpad laptop, however I would assume
> that an xseries server would be better supported.
>
> Unfortunately I won't be able to update lm_sensors on this box, so I'm
> fairly limited in what I can do.

Better download the latest version of the script here:
http://www.lm-sensors.org/browser/lm-sensors/trunk/prog/detect/sensors-detect?format=txt
You can run it without installing it. It doesn't have the check for IBM
systems, since it was updated to behave more safely. And a recent
version has more chances to know about your hardware.

But I wouldn't hold my breath... As far as I know these IBM xseries
servers do not have hardware monitoring chips.

--
Jean Delvare