does lm-sensors pick up sensors that don't exist?

Using lm-sensors I've been getting 3 temperature readings from a newly
bought system - system, CPU and an unidentified temp3.  I've been
suspecting temp3 of being the Northbridge temperature, but I've just
been told by Gigabyte support that there is no sensor for temp3 ...

Is this a "normal" thing to see?  I've been particularly interested in
this temp3 as it has been hovering in the 80-86 degrees range, which I
thought might be the cause of severe system instability (whilst under
load).

/Per Jessen, Z?rich