pwmconfig with k8temp

Hi Heinz,

Please keep the lm-sensors list in Cc.

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 02:58:49 +0100, Heinz Schuster wrote:
> I have tested your pwmconfig-version (lm-sensors 3.0.1) and its the same
> proplem.
>
> http://www.lm-sensors.org/browser/lm-sensors/tags/V3-0-1/prog/pwm/pwmconfig?format=raw
>
> In this Version i have changed the line 228:
>
> *original:
> *
>         pwmdisable $i
>         if [ $? -ne 0 ]
>         then
>             echo "Manual control mode not supported, skipping $i."
>         elif [ "$GOODPWM" = "" ]
>         then
>             GOODPWM=$i
>         else
>             GOODPWM="$GOODPWM $i"
>         fi
>     else
>         NOTROOT=1
>     fi
> done
>

> *my change:
> *
>
>         pwmdisable $i
>         if [ $? -ne 1 ]
>         then
>             echo "Manual control mode not supported, skipping $i."
>         elif [ "$GOODPWM" = "" ]
>         then
>             GOODPWM=$i
>         else
>             GOODPWM="$GOODPWM $i"
>         fi
>     else
>         NOTROOT=1
>     fi
> done
>
> /*The outputs:
>
> */*original:
>
> *This program will search your sensors for pulse width modulation (pwm)
> controls, and test each one to see if it controls a fan on
> your motherboard. Note that many motherboards do not have pwm
> circuitry installed, even if your sensor chip supports pwm.
>
> We will attempt to briefly stop each fan using the pwm controls.
> The program will attempt to restore each fan to full speed
> after testing. However, it is ** very important ** that you
> physically verify that the fans have been to full speed
> after the program has completed.
>
> Found the following devices:
>    hwmon0/device is k8temp
>    hwmon1/device is w83627ehf
>
> Found the following PWM controls:
>    hwmon1/device/pwm1
> hwmon1/device/pwm1 stuck to 0
> Manual control mode not supported, skipping hwmon1/device/pwm1.
>    hwmon1/device/pwm2
> hwmon1/device/pwm2 stuck to 0
> Manual control mode not supported, skipping hwmon1/device/pwm2.
>    hwmon1/device/pwm3
> hwmon1/device/pwm3 stuck to 0
> Manual control mode not supported, skipping hwmon1/device/pwm3.
> There are no usable PWM outputs.
>

> *after my change:
> *
> This program will search your sensors for pulse width modulation (pwm)
> controls, and test each one to see if it controls a fan on
> your motherboard. Note that many motherboards do not have pwm
> [...]

What do you mean by "runs normally"? According to the error messages
above, the pwm controls are stuck to 0, so they won't actually control
anything. Thus I suspect that pwmconfig then doesn't find any
correlation. You changed the script to ignore the error, but I fail to
see what good it is doing, as the root problem is still there.

I am curious why the w83627ehf driver fails to set the pwm values. I
have such a chip here and I've been testing pwmconfig on it and it
works just fine. What kernel version is this? Can you please provide
the output of:

(cd /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/device && grep . pwm*)

--
Jean Delvare