failed to load it87 module on IT8712F

Hi Peter,

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 07:50:43 +0100, Peter Eser wrote:
> Ok, switched on some debug messages on i2c and hardware monitoring chip
> debugging messages.
>
> After that on insmod it87 I also see "Device not activated, skipping"
> (perhaps I've only overseen that before).
> I then commented out the goto exit; in it87.c after this message and voila
> the driver says now:
>
> Found IT8712F chip at 0x290, revision 7
> it87 it87.656: Detected broken BIOS defaults, disabling PWM interface
>
> sensors says:
>
> it8712-isa-0290
> Adapter: ISA Adapter
> and the voltages, etc. following (yeah...)

Please include the actual output of "sensors". Just because it prints
values doesn't mean these are real. In particular, if the logical
device is not enabled, it is likely that the chip doesn't actually
refresh the monitored values. Check if the values make sense, and check
if they change over time.

99% of the time, logical devices that are not activated by the BIOS are
not actually used. That's the reason why most hwmon drivers do not have
any option to forcibly activate the disabled devices. Your case could
be different, of course... But then it would call for a BIOS fix rather
than a driver fix.

In your original post, you said that the board was also supposed to
have a VT1211. Did you find it on the board? Or could it be hiding
under a heatsink? If the board really has both a VT1211 and an IT8712F
then it is very likely that only one of those has its hardware
monitoring features used. I have to admit I would be surprised though -
two Super-I/O chips on the same board doesn't make much sense.

--
Jean Delvare