adt7475 support (Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe)

Matt Roberds wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I recently built a system using an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard,
> which has an Analog Devices ADT7475 thermal monitor and fan control
> chip.  sensors-detect knows about it but says there is no driver.  I've
> been looking through the mailing list archives and found a post from
> Hans de Goede in December with a partial driver (see
> http://lists.lm-sensors.org/pipermail/lm-sensors/2007-December/022169.html
> ).
>
> I downloaded that driver and it built as a module under kernel 2.6.18,
> after commenting out a few lines of code.  sensors (from lm-sensors
> 3.0.0) says:

Hi,

Yes that Hans de Goede would be me. Unfortunately I'm still waiting for my Asus
M2N-SLI Deluxe to return from the Asus repair center as it broke down.

Notice that beside my driver WIP, there also is one written by Jordan Crouse
I just noticed when looking it up in my archive that he hasn't send it to the
list yet, so I've attached it here. Both drivers need quite some work before
being acceptable for mainline inclusion. The one done by my students is
incomplete, and the one done by Jordan Crouse (attached) needs to have atleast
the following issues fixed:

* remote vcc and vcpp are not valid input names, please see
Documentation/hwmon/sysfs-interface for valid sysfs attr names.

* You're handling of the alarms is wrong, now a days we have one alarm file per
inpuit, again see: Documentation/hwmon/sysfs-interface

* Don't call a driver adt74xx even if it will support multiple chips, it may
very well never support all chips matching the xx mask, so instead just call it
after the first support chips, other documentation like the wiki-page and
sensors-detect will show to use this driver for releated chips.

> This motherboard has two sensor chips: an ITE IT8716F and the ADT7475.
> I suspect that the IT8716 is used as a monitor (read only) for fan
> speeds, temperatures, and voltages, while the ADT7475 is actually
> controlling the fan speeds.  Interestingly, the motherboard has four
> chassis fan connectors, and the ADT7475 seems to have four fan control
> channels.  I don't yet have any fans plugged into the chassis fan
> connectors on the motherboard, so it could be that those channels
> are working correctly and reporting the truth: there are no fans
> plugged in.  (I do have a couple of spare fans I could plug in for
> testing.)

That sounds unlikely, I haven't tested but atleast some of the fans were
monitored by the ITE, so most likely they were also controlled by the ITE.

> I'd like to get this driver fully working.  I can hack on it myself,
> or test code that other people have hacked on.  What is the best way
> to proceed?

You can work on it yourself, or you can wait for me or Jurgen (who also has a
driver for this on his hitlist) to do it, I'm waiting for the motherboard to
return before I resume working on it.

Regards,

Hans