w83627dhg chip - stopping fan rotation?

Jean Delvare wrote:
 > [...]
> If the automatic mode (Q-Fan as Asus names it) works, it means that the
> chip is properly setup and the hardware is OK (both the board and the
> fans.) I have to admit that I have no idea why manual mode doesn't work
> then. But OTOH it seems that you are using a relatively old version of
> the driver, maybe that's an old bug causing the problem. If you have
> the opportunity to test with a recent live distribution (i.e. kernel >=
> 2.6.23), please give it a try.

Thanks. I'm going settle for Q-Fan for now. It works reasonably
well for my purpose. I guess it could also be that when you
disable Q-Fan Asus forces the fans to max speed no matter what.
Although it does seem a little strange. With Q-Fan enabled I can
see the pwm values fluctuate, so the driver is peeking at the
values in the right place. But if / when I get the kernel updated
I will give it another go and report my findings. Thanks for
the help.

Casper