PWMconfig problem with Asus P5B Deluxe / Winbond 83627DHG

Hi David,

> I am one of them. I have CC'ed your email to the lm-sensors mailing
> list. Can you kindly include the CC in your future replies? That is
> the correct mailing list to post this discussion on.

Ok. Thanks. I will CC.

> I recall seeing this problem before. The list archives have a similar
> problem for an MSI 975x board:
> http://lists.lm-sensors.org/pipermail/lm-sensors/2007-April/019545.html
> http://lists.lm-sensors.org/pipermail/lm-sensors/2007-April/019566.html
>
> For that board, the solution was that the Intel ICH7 chip controlled
> the fan using a GPIO pin.

No. This isn't the same problem I have. He uses the 4-pin connector. I
only use two case fans on normal 3-pin connectors which are controllable
by Speedfan under Windows.

> But he wasn't getting a "Permission denied"
> error. Can you please double-check that you have permission to write
> to the files? I'm not going to quiz you on your setup (SELinux? or a
> problem in /etc/sudoers?) -- but I'll take your word for it that it's
> a driver error and not a sysfs permissions error.

Good point. I'm so stupid. I do a sudo echo "0" > pwm1. So echo "0" is
executed as root but the file writing not. Ok as root it works. I can
write something into actually pwm4 and the fan stops.

But pwmconfig does not work either. It says:

Found the following PWM controls:
   hwmon0/device/pwm1
hwmon0/device/pwm1_enable stuck to 1
Failed to set pwmhwmon0/device/pwm1 to full speed
Something's wrong, check your fans!

And  if I try a echo "0" > pwm1_enable I get "bash: echo: write error:
Invalid argument". echo "2" works. So I think this is one for you.

Best Regards and thanks for help
Alex