Utility for creating computate sensors.conf lines for fscher and newer from DMI tables

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 21:38:45 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Jean Delvare wrote:
> > You could use dmidecode's command line parameters to ease your parsing
> > work or at least speed it up. In particular, option -t, and maybe -u.
>
> I tried using -t, but although it works for types that dmidecode knows about
> like 20, it does not work for type 185, when I specify -t 185 I get no output.

Really? That would be a bug. Which version of dmidecode are you using?
An equivalent test case works fine here with both 2.8 and CVS.

Can you please send me (in private) a copy of the memory-mapped BIOS
area, so that I can reproduce the problem? The following command should
capture it:

dd if=/dev/mem of=/tmp/mem-fscher bs=64k skip=14 count=2

> (...)
> > The "+="s above should IMHO be "|="s. Granted, it only makes a
> > difference if the same entity is described twice, which shouldn't
> > happen, but I still think it's cleaner that way.
>
> Actually they are += deliberately, and the bits used are sparse deliberately,
> so that if there is more then one occurrence of an entity entities_found won't
> match, as I don't think thats supposed to happen (most of this is reverse
> engineered, all I have is the fscher "datasheet" which doesn't give much
> details about the layout of the dmi data).

I'm fine with returning an error in this case, but failing silently is
confusing. Also, with a more straightforward bitfield you could fail
directly, rather than storing the error and having to wait until the
end.

--
Jean Delvare