lm-sens 2.10.5 fschmd support

Hi Hans,

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 10:46:44 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> I've just committed support for the new fschmd to trunk, so that it will be
> available in 2.10.5
>
> It would be much appreciated if people who have an fsc chip could test the
> current trunk with it. I've been very carefull to make sure there will be no
> regressions.
>
> Also a quick review would be nice.

I've taken a look. Except for a few cosmetic fixes I already committed,
here are my concerns:

* In changeset 4938, you modified the fsc* support code in "sensors" to
  properly use the fault bit instead of the alarm bit to report faults.
  However this means that the alarms are no longer reported. This is a kind
  of regression. Could you please add alarm reporting?

* In changeset 4939:

> #define SENSORS_FSCHMD_FAN_FEATURES(nr) \
>         { { SENSORS_FSCHMD_FAN(nr), "fan" #nr, \
>                 NOMAP, NOMAP, R }, \
>                 NOSYSCTL, VALUE(2), 0 }, \
>         { { SENSORS_FSCHMD_FAN_DIV(nr), "fan" #nr "_div", \
>                 SENSORS_FSCHMD_FAN(nr), NOMAP, R }, \
>                 NOSYSCTL, VALUE(1), 0 }, \
>         { { SENSORS_FSCHMD_FAN_ALARM(nr), "fan" #nr "_alarm", \
>                 SENSORS_FSCHMD_FAN(nr), NOMAP, R }, \
>                 NOSYSCTL, VALUE(1), 0 }, \
>         { { SENSORS_FSCHMD_FAN_FAULT(nr), "fan" #nr "_fault", \
>                 SENSORS_FSCHMD_FAN(nr), NOMAP, R }, \
>                 NOSYSCTL, VALUE(1), 0 }

fan#_div should be RW, right?

> /* give up, use old name (probably won't work though...) */
> /* known to be the same:
> 	"alarms", "beep_enable", "vrm", "fan%d_div" (except old fscxxx drivers
> 	which use fan%d_ripple, fixed using altsysname for new drv. GRR)
> */

I don't think that you should have added this comment. What the original
comment means is that fan%d_div in 2.4 drivers stays fan%d_div in 2.6,
which is true. Whether other names also become fan%d_div for some
drivers in 2.6 is irrelevant at this point and has already been handled
before.

>   /* no error on failure as we get used for various FSC chips and not all
>      have the same amount of fan sensors */

>   /* no error on failure as we get used for various FSC chips and not all
>      have the same amount of temp sensors */

You could adjust the loops in print_fschmd() based on the chip type to
fix this problem. This is what we do for other drivers.

Other than that, your patch looks OK, well done, it wasn't an easy one.

As a side note, I am curious how the fscher driver was supposed to work
before your patch. The driver creates fan#_div when libsensors lists
fan#_ripple. So unless I'm missing something, it probably just wasn't
working, and nobody ever bothered to report. Odd.

--
Jean Delvare