dme1737 0-002e: Write to register 0x30 failed!

Hu Juergen,

On 10/9/07, Juergen Bausa <Juergen.Bausa at web.de> wrote:

> > -----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----
> > Von: "Juerg Haefliger" <juergh at gmail.com>
> >
> > > Juerg, you could patch i2c-nforce2 to return more useful error codes.
> > > Such a patch could go upstream. Alternatively, building the i2c-nforce2
> > > driver with CONFIG_I2C_DEBUG_BUS=y may provide some hints.
> >
> > I was thinking of doing that. First I have to try to recreate the
> > problem on my machine.
> >
> > Juergen: Do you feel like recompiling i2c_nforce2 with debugging enabled?
> >

> This would require compiling a single module and exchanging it against the default
> debian module? Then ist no problem. Is it ok to use the debian sources (2.6.18-5-k7)?

I believe so.

> And how to turn on debugging?

I don't know if there's an easier way but I usually do it the following way:
1) copy the i2c-nforce2.c file from the kernel source to a temp dir.
2) add a Makefile to the temp dir with the following content:

obj-m := i2c-nforce2.o
EXTRA_CFLAGS += -DDEBUG
all:
	make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=`pwd` modules

3) compile the module by running make
4) reload the new module. You have to remove the dme1737 module before
unloading the i2c-nforce2 module.

...juerg