[patch lm-sensors 2.10.4] i2cdetect mislabels PEC

Hi David,

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 14:55:37 -0700, David Brownell wrote:
> At some point, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > However, I don't think that what you proposed is the proper fix. We
> > don't care whether PEC is implemented in hardware or software. What
> > really matters is whether it is implemented at all, or not. So I'd
> > rather rename I2C_FUNC_SMBUS_HWPEC_CALC to I2C_FUNC_SMBUS_PEC, and have
> > i2c-algo-bit and other drivers declare that they support it. What do
> > you think?
> (...)
> Right ... then your suggestion above would seem to be The Answer,
> although rather than modify algo-bit etc I'd just add that flag
> into I2C_FUNC_SMBUS_EMUL.  Maybe that's what you meant.

That's not what I meant, but this seems to be the right thing to do,
yes. This should make the patch pretty simple.

> The "rename" would presumably involve leaving the old symbol around
> for a while, deprecated so gcc warns when it's used.

Inside the kernel, we do not care. For the user-space interface through
i2c-dev (i.e. lm-sensors' i2c-dev.h), well... I do not expect anyone to
actually use this flag, except "i2cdetect -F". There's simply no
real-world use case for the old semantic that bit had. So I think you
can just rename it and be done with it.

--
Jean Delvare