lm-sensors history

Bonjour Nordine,

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 19:39:02 +0200, Nordine Benkeltoum wrote:
> I'm carrying out a study on Open Source Software.
>
> I have a question about lm-sensors:
>
> Could you tell me who is at the origin of lm-sensors? Is it a firm or a
> non-profit community of volunteers?
>
> Thank you for your answer.

To the best of my knowledge, the lm-sensors project was originally
created by Alexander Larsson, Frodo Looijaard and Philip Edelbrock, as
can be seen in the README file of lm-sensors 1.3.0:

http://dl.lm-sensors.org/lm-sensors/releases/lm_sensors-1.3.0.tgz

The former two were already gone by the time I joined the project, so I
can't speak for them. Philip is still around (which, now that I come to
think of it, is quite impressive) so hopefully he can tell you.

My understanding is that they were hobbyists working together on the
project for fun, and there was no company behind it. As you can see,
the project is quite old, it started in 1998, and I don't think that
there were many free software projects funded by companies back then.
This however doesn't mean that the authors weren't using lm-sensors as
part of their jobs.

Oh, and I should also add that Philip's company, Netroedge, has been
hosting our web server and CVS repository for 7 years or so. Not sure
if this qualifies as a sponsorship but this was sure nice from them :)
The list of donations we received also mentions the name of the other
companies which have been helping us:

http://www.lm-sensors.org/browser/lm-sensors/trunk/doc/donations

--
Jean Delvare