py-smbus

MMH> Hi Petr:

MMH> * petr at tpc.cz <petr at tpc.cz> [2007-07-08 13:38:59 +0200]:
>> Hi,
>> trying to install py-smbus but no success. I am sending install log in the
>> attachment. Thanks for your comments and suggestions...
>> Petr Jakes

MMH> Log file says...
>> smbusmodule.c:19:20: Python.h: No such file or directory

MMH> On RedHat/Fedora systems, this is resolved by installing the python-devel
MMH> package.  Whatever is the equivalent for Ubuntu - install it and try again.

Mark,
I am sending this message to provide feedback for other users:

I have successfully installed py-smbus on command line version of
Ubuntu 7.04 "Feisty Fawn".

My hardware is AMD Geode GX low power (1.1W) motherboard (equipped by
the SMBus connector).

Before to install py-smbus it was (according to your suggestions) necessary:
1) install package python-dev
2) install package libsysfs-dev
3) download lm-sensors and install: 'make user && sudo make user_install'

   After that it was possible to installl py-smbus
4) download py-smbus and install

5) my board is equipped by the AMD Geode CS5536 south bridge, so
   necessary SMBus module is "scx200_acb"
   "modprobe scx200_acb" installs this module to the kernel

6) finally: "modprobe i2c-dev" allows to access smbus(0)

many thanks

Regards

Petr Jakes