dme1737 and sch311x similarities

All,

I looked through the SMSC sch311x datasheet and discovered that the HW
monitoring capabilities of the two chips are nearly identical. The
sch311x is missing some of the optional features like fan4 and pwmA
and pwmB and registers are accessed through the LPC interface rather
than an SMBus interface as is the case for the dme1737.
So if I were to enhance the dme1737 driver to support the sch311x
family this would imply that sch311x owners would also need to load
i2c modules which aren't really necessary/used in this case.
On the other hand, two separate drivers means a lot of code redundancy...

Any thoughts on which way to go? Personally I prefer a single driver,
way easier to maintain.

Thanks
...juerg