Any chances to get THMC50 driver into 2.6.22?

Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi Krzysztof,

> Well, user support to start with, both on this mailing list and
> http://www.lm-sensors.org/report . Some tickets are pretty simple, for
> example everyone should be able to solve #2208. And review or testing
> of any patch posted to the list, that's always welcome.

I may try fixing them when I do not have any other task at hand (read: I wait for patches accepted in other areas: sparc/fbdev).

> You can also test 2.6.22-rc2 or later on your systems and confirm that
> there are no regressions concerning lm-sensors.

Fine. Unfortunately, I can do this easily only on two computers (A and B, see below).

> If you tell us which drivers you can test, I can also look at these
> drivers for needed cleanups. For example lots of drivers are still
> using ugly macros instead of "dynamic" sysfs attributes so there is
> room for improvement.

I have these three machines:

A. Compaq AP550: i82801AA + dual ADM1022 (thmc50 driver) = 5 temperatures and 2 fans. There is also some LPC chip but it is not used I suppose (no other fans).

B. laptop: sis630 + max1617 (adm1021? driver) + unknown ITE chip (id: ea19). I got 2 temperatures (CPU & MB) but no fan control. I suppose this ITE chip controls the fan (do you know where I can find manual for it?).

C. White box P3: piix4 + as99127f rev 2. This one is my wife's so the access is more limited.

> Then we have a number of big projects in progress at the moment:
>
> * Conversion of i2c-isa-based drivers to platform drivers. Six drivers
> remain to be converted. w83627ehf is handled by David Hubbard and is
> almost done, it87 and pc87360 are supposedly handled by Corentin Labbe
> and Jim Cromie respectively, but I didn't see anything yet. vt8231,
> sis5595 and via686a are PCI-based, how we convert them depends on
> possible changes to the pci subsystem so I was delaying them a bit, but
> we want them in 2.6.23 so I will have to decide quickly. So if you have
> access to a device supported by any of these 6 drivers, you could help
> with the conversion, either doing it yourself or reviewing or testing.

Sorry, I do not have any of them.

> * Addition of individual alarm files to all hardware monitoring
> drivers. A small number of drivers are already converted but there are
> still many left. Individual alarm files are required for the future
> libsensors. The naming scheme for these files is described in
> Documentation/hwmon/sysfs-interface. To figure out the bit mapping of
> the alarms, you need to refer to either the datasheet or the 2.4 driver
> (in lm-sensors, under kernel/chips).

I can add them for the hardware I have.

> * We're also working on the new libsensors in branch "3.0.0" of
> lm-sensors SVN. The new version scans sysfs for supported files
> automatically so you no longer need to add support for every new
> driver. Help is needed with reviewing the new code, and testing how it
> works with as many drivers and devices as possible. Hans de Goede
> posted about this some times ago and didn't receive any answer.

I can test it with the hardware I have.

> Oh, and if you have experience with writing drivers for serial (RS232)
> devices, please let me know, I am trying to write such a driver for an
> evaluation module but am going nowhere.

I do not know how deep knowledge you need.

Kind regards,
Krzysztof