Checking out and comitting to the libsensors-3.x branch

Hi all,

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 10:14:30 +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 09:15:28 -0400, Mark M. Hoffman wrote:
> > IMPORTANT NOTE: next time we want to merge trunk changes out to the 3.0.0
> > branch, the merge command will be slightly different.  We must not use r4303
> > as the starting point, but rather r4355; otherwise we might duplicate some
> > changes.  So it is important to remember that we're synced up to r4355.  The
> > convention is to record that information in the commit log when the merge is
> > committed (which I did.)
> >
> > If there are changes to trunk that don't make sense in the branch, then we can
> > handle that by "anti" cherry-picking them.  E.g. if r4360 is such a change,
> > we'll sync r4355:r4359 and then again r4361:whatever.
>
> Another method would be to commit to both branches in parallel when a
> given change belongs to both branches. Looking at the changes you just
> merged, it seems that only a small amount of these were really needed
> in 3.0.0. All the changes to the kernel drivers, their documentation,
> lib/chips.*, prog/sensors/chips.* and sensors.conf.eg are for 2.10.x
> only. This doesn't leave that many areas where changes really need to
> be merged.
>
> Also, parallel commit would have the benefit that we have a better
> history, and no merge delay. Opinion anyone?

As nobody objected, I am going that route from now on (and will catch
up with the few commits that already went in since the last merge.)
Whenever a change applies to both branches, we commit to both in
parallel, and we no longer merge. I only see benefits in doing things
this way. I expect both branches to diverge quickly anyway, except for
sensors-detect.

--
Jean Delvare