Checking out and comitting to the libsensors-3.x branch

On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 10:14:30AM +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > 3. A merge is: find the differences between an old revision and a newer one,
> > apply those differences to the target branch.  (I specify the target branch
> > implicity in the following command, it's the branch of the CWD.)
> >
> > 	$ cd <working copy of 3.0.0 branch>
> > 	$ svn merge -r 4303:4355 http://lm-sensors.org/svn/lm-sensors/trunk
>
> What would have happened if some of the changes from trunk had been
> conflicting with changes in branch 3.0.0?
>
> It seems that we lose the history of changes when merging a branch, the
> logs only show the merge and not the individual log messages. Is this
> expected? I guess so :(

The problem is if you have two branches A and B and merge/copy over
parts of B onto A, then a file in A has semantically two histories,
one for the per-merge copy in A and one for the pre-merge copy in
B. Since the history of the B copy remains in B and also since the
true history of A != B, there isn't much choice. It is also a conflict
of interests: The developer of branch A would like to see what changed
from his POV, the one in B from his own.

But you do get a marker for copies or merges that you can follow to
fork off A's history into B's.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net