Compiling device drivers without compiling the kernel?

I have a Centos 4.4 system, and I was wondering if it is possible or if
there are instructions for compiling the drivers for sensors that did
not come stock with the centos kernel? I found the k8temp online,
unfortunately the kernel complains the module is in the wrong format.

The related question is there any docs out there for getting lm sensors
with newer sensors working on RHEL4.x based systems (eg. Centos?).

Thanks,

Terrence