Newbie questions regarding driver writing

Hello all,

sorry to bother you, but I try to write an i2c chip driver for the nouveau
project. It is intended to offer an unified interface for all supported
Nvidia cards to read out GPU temp and fan speed (perhaps with an added user
space library).

Currently this is a test module aimed to work only with my nvidia card. It is
easier for me to learn the ropes that way. It will be later merged with the
nouveau kernel module, where better dectection routines are available.

I tried to follow the Device Driver Kit documentation, the documentation in
the kernel and of course the source in drivers/i2c/chips. Furthermore I
looked at lm-sensors.org. It is slow going, as this is my first foray into
kernel space.

And yes, the module is far(!) from finished, important functions are not
fleshed out but available only as a stub or totally missing.

What works:
?- Inserting and removing the module prints the init messages and the i2c core
says that my module is registered / unregistered. (i2c-core: driver [nv]
registered)

What does not work:
?- I intended to check whether I got ioremap() right and expected nv_detect to
be called. But it isn't (which means in turn means nv_attach_adapter() is not
called). And I honestly have no idea why this is. Perhaps the
call to nv_detect() is delayed until the first access to the module happens
(which obviously can't work right now, as those functions are missing).

What I don't understand yet:
 - How do I export the values from the sensor driver to user
space? /dec/i2c* /proc or even sysfs?

Could you give me a hint? I have attached the current version to the mail.

If you have any additional docs to hint me at, just do it, but any help would
be very appreciated.

Thanks a lot for your help

Sincerely
B.Rathmann