MSI K9N4 SLI-F setting fan divisor

Hi Curt,

> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, Curt Blank wrote:
>
> > Motherboard: MSI K9N4 SLI-F
> > Chipset: nVidia nForce 500 SLI
> > SuSE Linux 10.1
> > Kernel: 2.6.16.27-0.9
> > Driver: w83627ehf
> >
> > How do I set the fan divisor? I have this in my sensors.conf file:
> >
> >    set fan3_div    8
> >    set fan4_div    8
> >    set fan5_div    8
> >
> > in the proper place. I get this when I do a sensors -s:
> >
> > Error: Line 2476: Failed to set feature
> > Error: Line 2477: Failed to set feature
> > Error: Line 2478: Failed to set feature
> > w83627dhg-isa-0a10: At least one "set" statement failed
> >
> > Those 3 "Error: Line"s are those 3 set div commands.
> >
> > The set fanN_min statements work.
> >
> > -Curt Blank
>
> I've noticed that the fanN_div files in /sys are created with a 444
> protection whereas the fanN_min files are created with a 644 protection.
> So that explains why they can't be modified. What controls the protection
> they are created with?
>
> -Curt

The driver declares them as read-only attributes. The fan divisors
*can* be programmed in software, but the driver keeps them readonly
because the fan RPM can be used to automatically select the
appropriate fan divisor. You won't need to set it. If you are getting
unreasonable RPM values (only 0, for example) you can check the
divisor to make sure it's also maxed out (at 128). Then you know that
the RPM reading is truly 0.

Hope that helps,
David