CPU temperature(s) of Conroe

> In the meantime I have tried to learn a bit about patching kernels etc.
>
> This is what I understand I have to do to get the lm-sensors running
> with the W83627DHG chip and the Core2Duo temperature sensors:
>
> 1. I have to get a driver for the W83627DHG chip. This will be a
> loadable module w83627ehf.ko in the directory
> /lib/modules/2.6.16.21-0.25-smp/kernel/drivers/hwmon. SUSE 10.1 has such
> a driver but it seems too old (a. the documentation of the corresponding
> (?) w83627ehf.c file in /usr/src/linux/drivers/hwmon says nothing about
> w83627dhg support; b. I cannot do 'modprobe w83627ehf': no such device).
> The newer version of the w83627.c file is this:
> http://lists.lm-sensors.org/pipermail/lm-sensors/attachments/20060906/b139bc4d/attachment-0001.obj
> So I should rename the old w83627ehf.c file and copy the new one to
> /usr/src/linux/drivers/hwmon.
> Now I have to build the new kernel module. This is the step I don't
> understand yet.
> After that I can do 'modprobe w83627ehf' and the W83627DHG works with
> lm-sensors.
>
> 2. Installing the coretemp driver is a bit more tricky because I have to
> patch msr.c first. I think this works in principle as above: rename
> /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/kernel/msr.c, copy the new msr.c to this
> directory and recompile. I think in this case I have to recompile the
> whole kernel because msr is no loadable module.
> After that I can build the coretemp driver as a loadable module as
> above: copy coretemp.c to /usr/src/linux/drivers/hwmon, building the
> module, 'modprobe coretemp'.
>
> In the end, I should add two lines to my file /etc/init.d/boot.local:
> modprobe w83627ehf
> modprobe coretemp
>
> lm-sensors should work then. Eventually I have to correct the file
> sensors.conf.
>
> Is this correct so far?

I used a "add-coretemp-driver.patch" file I found on the internet,
don't remember which site.

Then from inside the /usr/src/linux directory, I ran

patch -p1 < /patch/to/add-coretemp-driver.patch

and ran make menuconfig, selected the Coretemp driver, and rebuilt the kernel.

> How does the patching thing work?
> I think I should first save my old kernel in case something goes wrong.
> Is there a preferred way to do this?

Basically, when you get to the stage of copying the new kernel from
arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot, make sure you don't use the same
filename as the existing kernel.... I actually like to rename my known
working kernel to bzImage_failsafe and the new one as bzImage, and
then have entries in grub's menu.lst for each.