ASUS P5B DELUXE WiFi with Winbond W83627DHG - here 3-pin and 4-pin cpu fans

Hi Christian,

Very interesting result. It sounds like you did it right. I'm
curious--would an OPamp with enough driving power give you the same
result?

The w83627ehf and w83627dhg allow the fan output to be PWM or voltage
controlled. This is the fan*_mode file in sysfs. If you can hear the
PWM switching, you would know if you successfully set it in DC mode.
When I did diagnostic testing on the w83627ehf, I concluded that DC
mode runs the fan at lower RPMs for the same setting. I assume this is
because of the inductance in the fan, so PWM values in the top half of
the range all produce relatively high RPMs.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

David