grafting lm-sensors 2.10.1 onto red hat kernel

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, Jean Delvare wrote:

> Hi Steven,
>
> On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 10:59:20 -0500 (CDT), Steven Timm wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone successfully managed to compile i2c 2.10.1 and lm_sensors
>> 2.10.1 so that they work with kernels such as "2.6.9-42.0.2.ELsmp" as
>> distributed with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4?
>>
>> For some of the 2.9 version of lm_sensors there used to be
>> lm_sensors-kmdl and i2c-kmdl rpms available in the ATRPMS repository
>> but now I do not see those anymore.  any hints are welcome.
>
> For 2.6 kernels, you don't need the separate module packages,
> everything's already in the kernel tree. All you need is the user-space
> part of lm_sensors, which is available from ATrpms:
> http://atrpms.net/dist/el4/lm_sensors/

I guess what I am really trying to get at here is the following:
If I just take the source code for the various modules I want
from the lm_sensors 2.10.x tree and patch it into a 2.6.9 kernel,
is it going to compile, or is the source code out there only
good to compile into 2.4 kernels.

Has nobody ever tried to patch the latest lm_sensors code
into a 2.6.9. enterprise kernel?  Under enterprise linux 3
we used to do this all the time, I don't understand why
nobody has tried to do it in Enterprise linux 4.

Steve Timm

Steven C. Timm, Ph.D  (630) 840-8525  timm at fnal.gov  http://home.fnal.gov/~timm/
Fermilab Computing Div/Core Support Services Dept./Scientific Computing Section
Assistant Group Leader, Farms and Clustered Systems Group
Lead of Computing Farms Team