Determine where the thermal sensors are?

I have a weird question. The system I use are all the same, and one of them
is really quiet and the others are somewhat louder in regards to the fans. I
have all of them in the same rack and with the same hardware (memory, hard
d, etc) and the same BIOS config, revision and OS level and sensors version.
Still, only one unit works smoothly and the other are loud. I called the
manufacturer (Tyan) and they don't know why they will be different or where
the sensors are located on the motherboard. So, is there a way to find out
by looking at the chips? My theory is that somehow some of them are getting
a bit more air flow to certain areas thus making the fans rpm a bit lower.
The chip is an lm85 or similar/compatible.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Paul Aviles