w83627ehf: Missing fan input and minor problems w/ PWM control

Hi Matthias,

Nice to get some feedback on w83627ehf. The datasheet documents only 4
RPM sensors, but 5 pwm outputs. That's if your motherboard uses the
standard w83627ehf without any additional electronics.

Can you disconnect one fan at a time while in the BIOS readings and
verify that each is independent of all other fans? I wonder if the
BIOS is actually getting 5 independent RPM readings.

Also, is there some way (a different OS, or in the BIOS) that you can
actually control each of the fans independently? I'm looking for more
info on your motherboard, but there is the possibility that the two
CHA fans and the two PWR fans are actually hard-wired together. The
Asus page (http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=1&model=1198&l1=3&l2=11&l3=248)
says you have the Intel 975X and Intel ICH7R chipsets, but that's all
the time I have right now to google...  If you discover on google that
there are similar questions on forums, etc., that might provide a
clue. Otherwise, look at the board and see if there are any additional
chips - I have an Asus motherboard and the w83627ehf chip is actually
not hard to find. On mine, it's in the corner next to the ram slots.

Do the fans have three or four pins? (Just curious)

Can you provide a listing of the sysfs files exported by the driver on
your system? The w83627ehf pins for fans 4 and 5 can be programmed as
general purpose I/O, and the driver detects whether you have 3, 4, or
5 fan pins configured. (The setting is read, but not changed.) So...do
you have pwm4 and pwm5 in your sysfs?

HTH,
David