it87 driver supports ITE8716 chip on new AM2 boards

On 16:34 Thu 06 Jul     , Rudolf Marek wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> > I just got a new AM2 motherboard (Gigabyte GA-M55plus-S3g) that has a
> > ITE8716 sensors chip. I am using kernel 2.6.16 and modified the source
> > it87.c by replacing all instances of 8712 with 8716. Then recompiled the
> > driver and ran modprobe it87. Surprise it works !! Apparently its a clone
> > of the ITE8712 because i get all the fan, temp and voltage readings. This
> > ITE8716 is also in the top end ASUS M2N32-SLI DELUXE motherboard and
> > probably more. So many will be looking for it.
>
> Heh thanks for the info. I think it would work without your change too. Please
> can you tell me if the driver is using the i2c access or isa access?

My original m/b has ITE8712 so i had set modprobe i2c-isa it87. When
i switched to the new Gigabyte m/b this did not work because there was no
/sys/devices/platform/i2c-9191/9191-0290/ created.

> (just copy to the email output of "sensors" command)

10:54 >>sensors
it8716-isa-0290
Adapter: ISA adapter

> and also output of sensors-detect

Do you want to scan the ISA bus? (YES/no):

Probing for 	TE IT8712F'
  Trying address 0x0290... Failed!
Probing for 	TE IT8705F / SiS 950'
  Trying address 0x0290... Failed!

Do you want to scan for Super I/O sensors? (YES/no):
Probing for 	TE 8702F Super IO Sensors'
  Failed! (0x8716)
Probing for 	TE 8705F Super IO Sensors'
  Failed! (0x8716)
Probing for 	TE 8712F Super IO Sensors'
  Failed! (0x8716)
Do you want to scan for secondary Super I/O sensors? (YES/no):
Probing for 	TE 8702F Super IO Sensors'
  Failed! (skipping family)

 Sorry, no chips were detected.