The Abit uGuru saga

Hi Hans,

> These newer uGuru's while similar are so much different that I think
> they need / warrant a new driver. Putting support for them into the
> current driver would be a big kludge.

Yes new driver definitely better.

> With this in mind the question becomes: how do we call this newer
> driver? I'm tending towards the very original "abituguru2" as name. An
> other option would be abit_ac2005 as AC2005 is how Abit seems to call
> them internally (that is what the dll is named in the new windows
> software and the name is used in Abit ini files). However it turns out
> that the older uGuru's are probably called AC2003 by Abit intern, so
> then the name of the older driver would be wrong. Also I don't think
> that calling the drivers AC200X is going to help the end user find the
> correct driver for its motherboard. Maybe abituguru2005 ?

Well it does not matter only the name should be reasonably long.

> This new uGuru stuff has also lead me to 2 more questions:
> 1) With the new uGuru I'm able to read a motherboard type from the uGuru
>   and with this type I can determine the exact sensor configuration (of
>   known motherboards) including the labels for the sensors. Now I really
>   want to keep all this knowledge in one place. So I'm thinking about
>   giving all the sensors a _label sysfs attribute and write a little
>   userspace program which can generate a (part of) sensors.conf based on
>   these _label sysfs files. Does this sound ok?

This label stuff is good idea, because with PECI/SST and AMDSI technology
the labels of temps and voltages will be known

We just need to discuss the content of this file.

> 2) The current abituguru will load (as in modprobe) with the newer

I think Jean should know it. I'm too tired now to investigate, I dont know
how to do that on first sight.

Regards
Rudolf