Kernel fault from ACPI when using W83627EHG on 2.6.15

Hi Jean,

I thought that I had started the thread with a new subject line.  Is there
something else that I am missing that happens behind-the-scenes?

> > Although booting with "acpi=off" is a workaround, I would _really_ like
> > have ACPI running as it means that the power button on the front of the
> box
> > does a controlled shutdown (rather than a hard power-off) if pressed
> briefly
> > as well as a few other nice features.
>
> The various ACPI features can be built modular. You could try this, and
> only load the parts you need (e.g. ac, button) and not the ones which
> are probably responsible for the crash (e.g. thermal). This might help
> you survive for now, and isolate the problem within acpi.
>
> And this definitely needs to be reported to the acpi people (bugzilla?)

I've raised the problem on the mailing list:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.acpi.devel/17523

I still want to know what is really going on though.  This ACPI area is not
one I am familiar with, and although I have tried reading the documentation,
much of it is old and much more seems to indicate that a lot is
manufacturer-specific.

I have a few work-arounds for this problem, but I'm not comfortable using
them until I know what is actually going on.  Disabling ACPI completely
resolves the problem (but I lose ACPI).  Removing the "thermal" module in
ACPI stops the kernel dump, but the machine still runs very slowly until the
over-temperature situation clears.  This may be correct behaviour (e.g. the
processor is run at a much lower clock speed to help cool it down) but I
don't know for sure.   If I just set a very high cpu temperature limit (e.g.
95C) then this also "fixes" the problem, but it is really just a hack rather
than a real solution.

Hopefully, the guys on the ACPI mailing list can help.  This doesn't seem to
be a problem with lm-sensors (as far as I can see).