Reading ASUS P5GD1-VM sensors

Hi Jean,

> Reading the P5GD1-VM sensors
>
> I have been using lmsensors for quite a while now but recently stumbled
> across an ASUS P5GD1-VM MotherBoard at work.
>
> I installed the i2c and lmsensors, read the quick installation
> documentation, ran the suggested utilities and was able to identify the
> sensor chip as a Winbound w83627ehf.
>
> I then applied all the recommendations, updated the files as specified,
> restarted my machine and came out empty handed. No sensors detected.
> Spent quite a bit of time googling to get further information about the
> w83627ehf Super IO Chip, but results were unsuccessful.
> (...)
> Of course Asus Probe reads all parameters correctly, so why was it that
> I could not do it in Slackware 10.2 using a 2.4.31 kernel.

Because the w83627ehf driver only exists for Linux 2.6 at the moment.
Nobody ported it back to lm_sensors CVS (which is where drivers for
Linux 2.4 are maintained), most probably due to a lack of resources and
interest.

I just modified our "new drivers" web page to mention your interest in
a backport.

Your trick of forcing the w83781d driver is interesting, although a bit
complex for the regular users, and there are also some new features of
the W83627EHF chip which you will miss. But I agree that it's better
than nothing.

--
Jean Delvare