seeking a W83687THF patch for 2.6.15 (re: ticket 1944)

Jean Delvare wrote:
>> Looking in /usr/lib I notice only one library: libsensors.a (which is
>> from Sept 12th/05 ... marking it as being from v2.9.1)
>>
>> Looking in /usr/local/lib reveals 4 files (all of which dated Jan 9th/06):
>> libsensors.a
>> libsensors.so ... which is a link to libsensors.so.3
>> libsensors.so.3 .... which is a link to libsensors.so.3.0.9
>> libsensors.so.3.0.9
>>
>> Should I just copy the libsensors.a and libsensors.so.3.0.9 into /usr/lib ?
>>

> No! Don't touch anything. Static libraries (.a files) shouldn't cause
> any trouble, they are not even used by "sensors". So you have a single
> dynamic library (libsensors.so.3.0.9 under /usr/local/lib) and that's
> alright that way. If it ain't broken, don't fix it! :)
>

>> Any potential for error if the the wrong library is being read?
>>

> You would miss the improvements brought by the newer version if this
> was happening to you. Additionally you might enounter missing symbol
> errors. It's quite frequent that people install lm_sensors CVS
> in /usr/local and still have lm_sensors from their distribution
> in /usr. Usually they will run the right (new) version of "sensors" (if
> their PATH is correct, that is) but that version of sensors may link
> dynamically with libsensors from /usr/lib - the old version.

Thanks for explaining.

> Our installation process tries to detect the case and should warn about
> it, but it might not always work and not everyone pays attention to the
> warnings, unfortunately.

I do remember such a message. I also remember there was also a step
which was going to copy something over to something else, and I wasn't
sure if that had automagically resolved any problems/conflicts or
not.....and I didn't follow this up .... I was probably too lost in
thought debating whether I had made the right choice of ISA or smbus ;)

Regards, Steven