to access a i2c device

Hi:
I have a rtc chip on I2C. The driver's init function use "i2c_add_driver" to
add chip as one of i2c devices, and also use
"misc_register" to register a misc device.
In the "main" function when I open the misc device I can do "read"/"write"
the chip. But "read"/"write" has no effect on the chip.
I think I missed a step to find the rtc driver in the list of i2c devices
and then attach the device to i2c bus. But I do not know how to do it.

Please give me a hand on the issue. I want to know how to "open" and
"access" a particular i2c device in the device list.

Thanks,

Shiyuan