From: lm-sensors-bounces at lm-sensors.org
[mailto:lm-sensors-bounces at lm-sensors.org] On Behalf Of Grant Coady
Sent: 03 November 2005 06:45
To: David Haertig
Cc: lm-sensors at lm-sensors.org
Subject: Re:  lm-sensors
installchanged/corruptedBIOS/chip_firmware???!!!

Hi David,
David Haertig wrote:
> Hi Grant -
>
> Thanks for the quick reply.  However, I don't understand your
> concerns about what compiler or kernel I have installed.
> I did not recompile the kernel BTW.  I downloaded a binary
> kernel from Debian SID, but I needed the kernel source and the
> newer compiler to compile the nVidia drivers.

Okay, but it maybe an issue later.  I'm asking the silly preliminary
stuff, somebody else will chime in, we hope :)

> After installing lm-sensors (apt-get install, then sensor-detect)
> I rebooted.  The first reboot I tried was a soft one ("Logoff and
> restart" from within Gnome Desktop).  My second reboot was a
> total power down one.

Okay.

> Anyway, the hang is during POST.  This is way before any OS is
> loaded, tainted kernel or not.  I'm not even to the MBR -> XOSL Boot
> Manager -> Grub -> Linux Kernel yet.  I'm still in POST (firmware).
> Drivers and kernels are not in the picture at this stage of booting.
> The harddisk hasn't even been accessed yet!

This is where we get concerned, something has upset the BIOS?

> I'm hoping that what I think happened is not what really happened.
> Or at least there's an easy fix for it.

Can you try clearing the BIOS, don't run lm_sensors, but take a look
at the ACPI in dmesg and /sys area, newer BIOS now report hardware
monitoring through ACPI, which is a different ballgame.  There was
info about ACPI hw monitoring very recently either on this list or
linux-kernel.

Sorry cannot be more helpful.  Out of cluebats today :(

Grant.