lm-sensors install changed/corruptedBIOS/chip_firmware???!!!

Hi Grant -

Thanks for the quick reply.  However, I don't understand your
concerns about what compiler or kernel I have installed.
I did not recompile the kernel BTW.  I downloaded a binary
kernel from Debian SID, but I needed the kernel source and the
newer compiler to compile the nVidia drivers.

After installing lm-sensors (apt-get install, then sensor-detect)
I rebooted.  The first reboot I tried was a soft one ("Logoff and
restart" from within Gnome Desktop).  My second reboot was a
total power down one.

Anyway, the hang is during POST.  This is way before any OS is
loaded, tainted kernel or not.  I'm not even to the MBR -> XOSL Boot
Manager -> Grub -> Linux Kernel yet.  I'm still in POST (firmware).
Drivers and kernels are not in the picture at this stage of booting.
The harddisk hasn't even been accessed yet!

This is the last thing I expected to happen when I installed
lm-sensors.  I can imagine (and even expected) some configuration
and/or twiddling would be needed after rebooting Linux.  I see
no way his COULD have happened unless somehow, something that
was done as part of the lm-sensors install (probing?) messed up
the IT8712 chip, the BIOS, or something else in hardware/firmware
on the motherboard.  That's why I'm asking for help here.
I'm hoping that what I think happened is not what really happened.
Or at least there's an easy fix for it.

Thanks!