Helps: how to use i801--SMBus functions via i2c-dev module in Linux?

Dear Sir,

I am new to Linux and Device driver programming. I am trying to write a device driver software module to access the ICH6 SMBus controller on the motherboard of our PC running Linux 2.6.10 kernel. I configured my 2.6.10 kernel to have I2C built-in support and your i801 module loaded. Then I loaded the i2c-dev interface module and wrote a short application software to test the functions for SMBus. After my application opened the /dev/i2c device, I received messages saying "i2c-adaptor: i2c-0 -- I2C level transfer not support" when my application software called the read and write function of the i2c-dev module. Further tracking inside the i2c-dev module shew that the algorithm parameter adap->algo->master_xfer = NULL. That means the i801 driver was not properly loaded by the i2c-dev module.

Could you advise how I can make use of the i801 module and your i2c-dev module to access the ICH6 SMBus controller?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Michael Gu