Support for Linux 2.6 only drivers

Hi Jean,

> >                         Is this still the current
> development model,
> > or are you now moving away from 2.4 support? I see from lib/chips.c
> > that the W83627EHF device is not supported for 2.4 (yet),
> so perhaps
> > this is the way things are moving?
>
> Writing drivers for Linux 2.6 only if fine. You may want to
> add user-space support though, and this happens in the
> lm_sensors2 project.
> There is still a minor issue with 2.6-only drivers (related to alarm
> flags) but this is being worked on. If you don't need
> user-space support, this part can be skipped.

I will be needing user-space support, so an i2c-id.h allocation will be
required. What's the procedure there besides "You will also need to ask
us to have an ID reserved"?

> > o The driver has been written such that it should support
> the AD7416
> > and
> > AD7418 as well as the AD7417. These devices provide a subset of the
> > functionality of the AD7417 (fewer inputs etc.). Unfortunately I am
> > not able to test my code with these devices as my hardware only
> > supports the AD7417. Would you prefer to see such support
> present, but
> > with an "untested" comment, or removed completely?
>
> Depends on the amount of additional code and the probability
> that someone needs it. It also depends on how reliable the
> chip detection is. If the detection is poor, we can't afford
> listing too many possible addresses.

Unfortunately the detection is a little poor. I wish vendor/device IDs
had been a compulsory part of the i2c spec! Given that the devices are
very similar I think it would be best to conditionally include (or
rather exclude) support for the AD7416 and AD7418 so that anybody
needing support for these devices will at least have a good starting
point.

> It'll be easier to answer that question once we see the
> actual driver code.

Should I send a copy of the driver to the <sensors at stimpy dot
netroedge.com> alias for comments before proceeding?

Cheers,

Steve