Running lm-sensors on EPIA 5000 with Debian SARGE 2.6

I have done some more digging including probing voltages on the Eden 5000
MoBo.

IN0 is connected to the 12v rail using a potential divider from R54/R55.
The scaling factor is 0.1754.

IN1 is connected to the 5v rail using a potential divider from R51/R52.  The
scaling factor is 0.4167.

IN2 is connected to the 2.5v rail using a potential divider from R56/R57.
The scaling factor is 0.833.

IN3 is directly connected to the Vcore rail (1.2v).  The scaling factor is
1.000.

IN4 is unknown

IN5 is connected to the 3.3v rail within the VT8231.  The scaling factor is
0.6296.

The information in the sensors.conf file from Aaron Marsh is basically
correct here, but the INx values are in the wrong sequence.  This is
probably because he has set them up for a different motherboard.

The temperature information in TEMP2 appears to be useless as it is the
full-scale value and never changes.

The information in TEMP3 seems to be very different to that from any
information I could find on the WWW.  After placing a temperature probe at
the base of the CPU heatsink, then heating the whole heatsink with a
hairdryer and waiting for everything to stabilise, I was able to generate a
graph of the TEMP3 value against the register value (see below chart).

Temp (centigrade)

Register Value

33.9

725

34.1

712

34.8

735

35.5

732

36.5

745

40

760

41.6

780

42.5

780

44

807

45.6

817

46.1

825

46.3

812

47.1

820

47.9

830

50

865

52.9

862

53

887

53.9

870

55

882

56

890

57.1

907

58

925

61

935

62

942

63

962

64.2

950

65.5

975

66.9

980

70.5

997

70.5

997

This is basically linear (y=mx+c).  If temp=y, register=x then m=0.128 and
c=-58.

I?m not posting a sensors.conf file as I cannot get the ?sensors?+?vt8231?
combination to work properly.  For some reason, sensors insists on scaling
all the input values by 1/1000 and vt8231.c handles reads/writes of the max
and min settings differently (it divides all writes to max or min by 10
before applying them).  I cannot see any reason for this behaviour ? if
someone can enlighten me then please do, but it seems a bit weird from where
I am standing.  Also, ?sensors? complains about not being able to access
procfs/sysfs for writing even though the file system exists and is writable
(I have written the files directly when testing), even though it does manage
to write some of the max/min settings.

Given that lm-sensors is going through a major re-write through kernel
2.6.11 and the vt8231/viapro functionality isn?t integrated, it seems
pointless to expend major effort here as it will soon be obsolete ? I am
using a script and accessing the /sys/bus/i2c/
.. files directly to
determine what is going on.  I plan to move to the 2.6.11+ kernel as soon as
Debian takes it to stable from testing (I cannot install testing on my board
as the install crashes).

Hopefully this is of some use to someone, as I couldn?t find this kind of
information when I was looking.

Regards,

Roger

  _____